Father’s Day is celebrated the third Sunday of June each year, and gives each of us the opportunity to honor the smartest, funniest, most caring, and hardest working Dad in the world – our own! And although most fathers will tell you that they don’t need any fanfare, we think it is important to recognize the men who make such a huge impact on our lives,from the time we are children and well into adulthood. In order to help to celebrate these great guys, Bice’s Florist would like to offer a bit of trivia that you may find interesting.
* Father’s Day was started by Sonora Smart Dodd, whose father William Smart had raised 6 children on his own. After hearing a sermon on Mother’s Day, Dodd saw fit to establish a day to honor her father, as well as all other hard-working family men.
* The first Father’s Day was celebrated in Spokane, Washington in 1910, although it was not made an official holiday until 1966 under President Lyndon Johnson. Richard Nixon made it permanent in 1972.
* There are thought to be approximately 71 million fathers in the United States, with 200,000 men being stay-at-home dads and 1.9 million being single dads.
* Hallmark says that 74 million cards are given each Father’s Day, making it the 4th largest card giving day of the year. 20% of the cards purchased are actually given to husbands.
* The most common places to shop for Father’s Day gifts are clothing stores, hardware stores, electronics stores, and sporting good stores.
This year, how about trying something different? Shop the Father’s Day collection at Bice’s Florist for unexpected gifts like green plants for his office, keepsake arrangements like our 65 Mustang or Fire Engine Bouquets, or one of our delicious gourmet selections. After all, you love Dad too much to buy him another new tie – surprise him with plants, flowers or treats from Bice’s Florist. We deliver the best Father’s Day gifts across Fort Worth and right to his doorstep.